Cottonwood Canyons
Weather DashboardTM
Updated January 29 @ 5:30 am

Summary

Cottonwood Canyons

January 29 @ 5:30 am

Learn how you can have Alexa read this report to you.

Current Conditions

At 4:00 am, the temperature near the top of Solitude's Powderhorn chairlift was 12 degrees. Winds on Cardiff Peak are averaging 12 mph out of the south-southwest with gusts to 17. In the last 36 hours, the snow depth midway up Solitude's Summit chairlift has increased 8 inches. In the last 3 weeks, the depth has increased 20 inches.

Forecast Conditions

The forecast says that today, from 5:00 am to 5:00 pm, there is a 90 percent chance of 5 to 9 inches of snow and a 10 percent chance of 10 to 12 inches. The daytime high temperature will be 22 degrees. And from 5:00 pm today until 5:00 am tomorrow, there is an 80 percent chance of 1 to 3 inches of snow and a 20 percent chance of 4 to 5 inches. The nighttime low temperature will be -3 degrees.

Avalanche Forecast

The Utah Avalanche Center's avalanche forecast for the Salt Lake area on Saturday, January 28, says, "The avalanche danger is CONSIDERABLE across all upper elevations, for sensitive slabs of wind-drifted snow and human-triggered avalanches are likely, and natural avalanches are possible. Across mid-elevation terrain, there is a MODERATE avalanche danger for wind-drifted snow. In either case, avalanches could be 1-2 feet deep and up to 150 feet wide. I would look for and avoid any slope that has been or is actively being loaded by the wind."

Wasatch Backcountry Map App

24-Hour Forecast

Cottonwood Canyons

January 29 @ 2:34 am

5:00 am - 5:00 pm 5:00 pm - 5:00 am

90% chance of
5 to 9 inches

(0.25" to 0.50" of H2O)

10% chance of
10 to 12 inches

(0.55" to 0.60" of H2O)

80% chance of
1 to 3 inches

(0.05" to 0.15" of H2O)

20% chance of
4 to 5 inches

(0.20" to 0.25" of H2O)

An arctic boundary will continue to shift south into northern Utah this morning. Very heavy snow has fallen across the far northern part of Utah, however as this area of snow shifts southward, upper level forcing will decrease... 

7-Day Forecast

Cottonwood Canyons

January 29 @ 3:23 am

Overnight: Snow. Cloudy. Low around 9, with temperatures rising to around 16 overnight. Wind chill values as low as 1. Southwest wind around 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.


Sunday: Snow. Cloudy. High near 17, with temperatures falling to around 12 in the afternoon. Wind chill values as low as -1. West southwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible.


Sunday Night: Snow likely. Mostly cloudy. Low around -3, with temperatures rising to around 1 overnight. Wind chill values as low as -13. West wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.


Monday: A slight chance of snow before 5pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 8. Wind chill values as low as -18. West northwest wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.


Monday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around -5. West northwest wind around 12 mph.


Tuesday: Sunny, with a high near 12.


Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 2.


Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 17.


Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 7.


Thursday: Sunny, with a high near 22.


Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 13.


Friday: A slight chance of snow showers after 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 25.


Friday Night: A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 14.


Saturday: A slight chance of snow showers before 5pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 22.


Avalanche Forecast

Salt Lake

January 28 @ 4:48 am

Considerable Hazard

Temperature

Alta
Guard House

January 29 @ 5:00 am

Solitude's Powderhorn

January 29 @ 4:00 am

24-Hour Wind

Cardiff Peak Wind

January 29 @ 5:10 am

48-Hour Snow Depth

Alta's Collins

January 29 @ 5:00 am

Solitude's Summit

January 29 @ 4:00 am

Current depth: 147"
Change in 12 hours: -1"
Change in 24 hours: 1"
Change in 48 hours: 7"

Current depth: 114"
Change in 12 hours: -2"
Change in 24 hours: 3"
Change in 48 hours: N/A

30-Day Snow Depth

Alta's Collins

January 29 @ 5:00 am

Solitude's Summit

January 29 @ 4:00 am

Current depth: 147"
Change in 1 week: 6"
Change in 2 weeks: -8"
Change in 4 weeks: 29"
(Some depths questionable.)

Current depth: 114"
Change in 1 week: 6"
Change in 2 weeks: -3"
Change in 4 weeks: 18"
(Some depths questionable.)

Radar

NOAA Radar

January 29 @ 5:30 am

Avalanche Rescue

Training Resources

 

 

Cameras

Tap sides of photo to change cameras.
View these additional cameras:
Brighton, Snowbird, and UDOT.

Annual SWE Comparison

Snow Water Equivalents
(Brighton)

January 29

Tap the chart for details

More Info

Do Something?

A gondola? Reduced bus service? Interconnect? Do you give a shit or are you just another a selfish consumer? Protect the Wasatch.

Avalanche Rescue

Be a good partner. Visit AvyRescue.com and watch the videos.

The Backcountry Guide

The Wasatch Backcountry Skiing Guide provides information on hundreds of backcountry ski locations .

Amazon Alexa

Learn how you can have Alexa, Amazon's talking assistant, read this report to you.

The Backcountry Map

The Wasatch Backcountry Skiing Map is available on your desktop, on your mobile device, and as waterproof and wall maps.

The Inclinometer

Check out Steve's Badass Avalanche Inclinometer .

Your Cottonwood Canyon weather report. Covering Big Cottonwood Canyon (Brighton and Solitude), Little Cottonwood Canyon (Snowbird and Alta), and the Central Wasatch Backcountry.
All profits from Steve's backcountry map are donated to organizations that promote avalanche safety or the preservation of the Wasatch mountains.