Cottonwood Canyons
Weather DashboardTM
Updated February 16 @ 9:45 am

News Alerts

Cottonwood Canyons

February 16 @ 9:45 am

At 8:43 am, @AltaCentral tweeted, "Expect high vehicle volume with heavy traffic delays today and this holiday weekend in Little Cottonwood Canyon."

At 4:04 am, @UDOTavy tweeted, "Backcountry closure restrictions in LCC lifted as of 0400 of 2/16. pic.twitter.com/SGr0XLm7CJ"

At 3:56 pm on February 15, @UDOTavy tweeted, "LCC Backcountry closure 10:00 pm Friday February 15. North side from Gate B through Grizzly Gulch. White Pine trailhead south of LCC Creek OK. Estimated opening 8am Sat Feb 16. pic.twitter.com/02nxjvxldt"

Summary

Cottonwood Canyons

February 16 @ 9:45 am

Current Conditions

At 9:00 am, the temperature near the top of Brighton's Crest chairlift was 9 degrees. Winds at the top of Brighton's Great Western chairlift are averaging 16 mph out of the north-northwest with gusts to 34. In the last 48 hours, the snow depth near the top of Brighton's Crest chairlift has increased 7 inches. In the last 2 weeks, the depth has increased 43 inches.

Forecast Conditions

The forecast says that today, from 5:00 am to 5:00 pm, there is a 70 percent chance of 2 to 4 inches of snow and a 30 percent chance of a trace. The daytime high temperature will be 23 degrees. And from 5:00 pm today until 5:00 am tomorrow, there is a 70 percent chance of a trace to 2 inches of snow and a 30 percent chance of 2 to 4 inches. The nighttime low temperature will be 8 degrees.

Avalanche Forecast

The Utah Avalanche Center's avalanche forecast for the Salt Lake area on Saturday, February 16, says, "Areas of CONSIDERABLE DANGER exist for heavily wind loaded slopes. The danger is most pronounced on upper elevation northerly through easterly facing terrain. Non-wind drifted slopes have a MODERATE danger. Cornices are an issue - Exercise great caution along and underneath the heavily corniced ridgelines. Safe Travel Protocols are critical: one at a time, get out of the way at the bottom, have a plan."

24-Hour Forecast

Cottonwood Canyons

February 16 @ 2:19 am

5:00 am - 5:00 pm 5:00 pm - 5:00 am

70% chance of
2 to 4 inches

(0.1" to 0.2" of H2O)

30% chance of
a trace to 2 inches

70% chance of
a trace to 2 inches

30% chance of
2 to 4 inches

(0.1" to 0.3" of H2O)

...Winter Weather Advisory through 6 am Saturday...Strong cold front departing to our east today with widespread snow ending early this morning. A secondary weak disturbance approaches today, and will encourage snow shower development over the mountains. ... 

Avalanche Forecast

Salt Lake

February 16 @ 5:32 am

Considerable Hazard

Current Temperature

Alta
Guard House

February 16 @ 9:00 am

Brighton's Crest

February 16 @ 9:00 am

Current Wind

Cardiff Peak Wind

February 16 @ 9:00 am

48-Hour Snow Depth

Alta's Collins

February 16 @ 9:00 am

Brighton's Crest

February 16 @ 9:00 am

Current depth: 138"
Change in 12 hours: 8"
Change in 24 hours: 8"
Change in 48 hours: 9"

Current depth: 123"
Change in 12 hours: 3"
Change in 24 hours: 4"
Change in 48 hours: 7"
(Some depths questionable.)

30-Day Snow Depth

Alta's Collins

February 16 @ 7:00 am

Brighton's Crest

February 16 @ 8:00 am

Current depth: 137"
Change in 1 week: 14"
Change in 2 weeks: 47"
Change in 4 weeks: 50"
(Some depths questionable.)

Current depth: 123"
Change in 1 week: 6"
Change in 2 weeks: 43"
Change in 4 weeks: 41"
(Some depths questionable.)

Radar

February 16 @ 9:30 am

Tap image to change zooming

7-Day Forecast

Cottonwood Canyons

February 16 @ 8:15 am

Today: Snow showers. Mostly cloudy. High near 14, with temperatures falling to around 10 in the afternoon. Wind chill values as low as -13. West wind 13 to 28 mph, with gusts as high as 41 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.


Tonight: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 4. Wind chill values as low as -12. West southwest wind 9 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.


Sunday: Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy. High near 15, with temperatures falling to around 12 in the afternoon. Wind chill values as low as -10. East northeast wind around 12 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.


Sunday Night: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 1. Wind chill values as low as -14. Northeast wind 12 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.


Washington's Birthday: A chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 13. North wind 12 to 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of less than half an inch possible.


Monday Night: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -2. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New snow accumulation of less than half an inch possible.


Tuesday: A chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 10. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New snow accumulation of less than half an inch possible.


Tuesday Night: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -3.


Wednesday: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 13.


Wednesday Night: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 4.


Thursday: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 16.


Thursday Night: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 5.


Friday: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 16.


Friday Night: A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 7.


Cameras

Tap image to switch cameras

Annual Comparison

Snow Water Equivalence
(Brighton)

February 16

Tap the chart for details

More Info

The Backcountry Guide

The Wasatch Backcountry Skiing Guide provides information on hundreds of backcountry ski locations.

Amazon Alexa

Learn how you can have Alexa, Amazon's talking assistant, read this report to you.

The Backcountry Map

The Wasatch Backcountry Skiing Map is available on your desktop, on your mobile device, and as a waterproof map.

The Inclinometer

Check out Steve's Badass Avalanche Inclinometer.

Your Cottonwood Canyon ski and weather report. Covering Big Cottonwood Canyon (Brighton and Solitude), Little Cottonwood (Snowbird and Alta) and the Wasatch Backcountry.